Would you like to join the team at the Quay? We’re seeking a new Deputy Manager to join the team in August. If you’re looking for a new career challenge then read on…
Deputy Manager, Quay Climbing Centre Exeter
We’re seeking a Deputy Manager to join the team at the Quay, supervising the day to day operations of the centre. The post would suit a passionate and experienced climber who is keen to promote the sport, who has worked in a supervisory customer focused role in the outdoor/climbing industry and who has a proven ability to motivate teams. The post is offered as a permanent position working 42 hours a week split over four, ten-hour shifts, typically on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. We’re offering a competitive salary according to experience and qualifications.
Summary of the Position
Our Deputy Managers are responsible for the daily operation of the centre during their shifts and the management of the staff on duty that day. They are also involved in the development of initiatives that will enhance the customer experience, extend our range of services and develop the climbing community in the South West. The Deputy Managers work closely with the Centre Manager and the team of instructors and staff who work in the centre each day.
We are seeking a confident and outgoing individual who has a passion for climbing and an interest in making the sport accessible for all. Candidates must have experience motivating teams in a customer-focused business and a desire to ensure that all customers have a safe and enjoyable experience in the centre. An eye for detail and a flexible approach to work are key requirements. We are seeking a candidates who are ambitious to help the centre develop commercially and can identify opportunities to expand revenue whilst providing value to customers. Project management and an ability to see ideas through to completion are essential skills. The role involves working with senior members of the team to enhance the customer experience and grow the climbing community in the South West.
This is a great opportunity to join the team at one of the South West’s leading climbing centres and be part of growing the sport of climbing in the region. You will be supported in your role by the Centre Manager and other members of the management team.
- Oversight of the climbing wall arena including top rope, lead climbing and bouldering areas, Clip ‘n Climb and the reception/café area.
- Management of rotas and timesheets
- Ensuring that group/instructor led activities are appropriately managed and staffed
- Ensuring that all activities are delivered safely, in line with risk assessments and procedures
- Ensuring that staff are appropriately trained to carry out their duties and that teams are deployed each day to ensure that all activities are carried out to the highest standards
- Ensuring that customers visiting the centre have a positive and consistent experience from check in through to the café and climbing area
- Development of ideas and initiatives and to enhance the customer experience and expand the commercial opportunities for the Quay
- Involvement in the development of our youth climbing clubs and squads
- Deputy Managers are expected to instruct and lead group activities as well as oversee other instructors
- Experience working in the fitness/outdoor sports and/or climbing industry
- CWI or RCI qualification or evidence of progress towards these awards
- A background in a customer focused role
- Proven supervisory experience and an ability to motivate teams
- Experience implementing new initiatives and/or managing projects
- A dedicated climber with a strong interest in indoor climbing development
- Experience working in a climbing centre is desired but not essential
- CWDI and other relevant outdoor sports instruction qualifications
- Current First Aid qualification
- Route setting experience
- Sales or product development experience
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive salary according to qualifications and experience
- Attractive benefits including Company Pension Scheme, the equivalent of 5.6 weeks annual holiday per year, free climbing at the centre, subsidised meals whilst working at the centre, access to discounted climbing hardware from trade suppliers, access to discounts at local partner businesses
Start Date and Hours of Work
- Start date 22nd August 2018
- 42 hours per week – Wednesdays Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays
Statement about the position
If you’re still interested you can obtain an application form from the centre – please email Alison Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a copy. The closing date for applications is 12 noon on 13th July 2018.
Click here for a downloadable PDF of the job description and information that appears in this blog.