THE HUX CRUX CHALLENGE 2017!
The Quay is delighted to once again host the The Hux Crux Challenge 2017! Last year climbers roped up to climb the equivalent height of Mount Everest. The Hux Crux team completely smashed this target, more than doubling their original aim. This year The Hux Crux Challenge 2017 has set it’s sights high to reach the equivalent height of Olympus Mons – on Mars!
WHAT IS HUX CRUX?
On 29th July 2015, at the beginning of his climbing journey, James Huxley was cycling to work when he suffered from a unknown heart condition and tragically passed away. Alysa Freeman and a group of dedicated climbers would like to invite you to take part in The Hux Crux Challenge 2017 to raise awareness and funds for C.R.Y. (Cardiac Risk in the Young). The charity aims to reduce tragedies like this through screenings and further research.
The Hux Crux Challenge is simple (but not easy!) – climb the equivalent height of Olympus Mons, a 26km peak on Mars, between the climbers taking part. During the event raffle tickets can be purchased from the Hux Crux stand, all proceeds of which will go to C.R.Y.
HOW CAN YOU TAKE PART?
Quay Members can get involved in several ways!
- Help rack-up the metres! Quay Members can just come for their usual climbing session and submit their height gain to the Hux Crux total! Visit the Hux Crux stand and for a suggested donation of £3, you will receive a Hux Crux Logcard. Go climbing and record your climbs onto the logcard – return it at the end to submit your height gain and you’ll receive a certificate and a special mention on the Hux Crux event page!
- Don’t fancy climbing? Come and lend a hand with the belaying! With over 40 Hux Crux climbers, the team will need a hand with some of the belay duties. Please contact Alysa Freeman through the Hux Crux Facebook event page if you can help out, or just turn up on the day and find her at the Hux Crux stand.
- Win something fab! Simply purchase a raffle ticket – or a few – from the Hux Crux stand for a chance to win something awesome. The Quay is donating some merchandise and a 1:1 Coaching or Taster Session (depending on experience). All proceeds will be donated to C.R.Y.
- Just a donation? Every penny that goes to C.R.Y. (Cardiac Risk in the Young) is put to research and screenings to prevent sudden cardiac deaths and support the families who all suffer the consequences. If you’re not able to help out in any other way, please consider any size donation.
Where & When?
Saturday 2nd December – 12pm @ The Quay Climbing Centre
Find out more:
Checkout the event page and learn a little more about the charity by clicking the buttons below.
- Quay Climbing Centre – Taster Session or 1:1 Coaching (depending on experience)
- Quay Climbing Centre Branded Hoodie
- Exeter City Match tickets- Exeter City Vs Barnet
- 2x North Terrace Exeter Chiefs Rugby Tickets
- Bobbin Wren – Felt Book Cover Kit
- DMM Rucksack
- Painting tutorial with fine artist Rosa Tuffney
- Felt animal by Claire Longhurst
- Mammut x3 fluffy mammoths
- Mammut Chalk Bag
- Mammut x2 Water Bottles
- Mammut Wash Bag
- Mammut Fleece Beanie
- Mammut x2 Woolly Beanies
- Beginners Course with Kryton Archers
- Exeter Underground Passages Family ticket
- Dark Sky Telescope Hire Stargazing Experiences on Exmoor
- National Marine Aquarium Plymouth – 2 Child Tickets
- North Terrace Exeter Chiefs Rugby Tickets for Two